Monday 31 October 2011

Dear Diary- Day 5




Morale still high. Despite the fact, or perhaps because of the fact, that we grew up in a country where the sun shines, when it popped it's head out this morning we were off like a couple of Jewish foreskins at a bris.


The consequences of this madness are bright pink lines on Simsie's bum (despite the factor 1000 sunblock). I am sitting in the bar radiating more warmth than a three bar electric heater.

But, I went snorkelling and, surprise of surprises, saw fish! The fab thing, to a tropical paradise Luddite like me, was that I was in about 2 meters of water and 20 meters from the dry bit! This is truly paradise! Well, not like I'd like to spend eternity with fish, but hopefully you'll grasp the sentiment.

Perhaps this deep joy that I'm feeling has something to do with my level of expectation. I'm still in awe of the magic wristband that even got me a couple of beers in the swimming pool this afternoon.

One simply swims up to a counter and says "I'd like a beer please" and 'Shazam!' there one is. The challenge is to stop it getting contaminated with chlorine and urine.

I gave "our" barman (how very all- inclusive) a tenner tonight for serving me four beers after the magic wristband turns into a mouse's tail at midnight. He's a nice chap from Sri Lanka.

I must admit, the number of staff who say hello to you is, in my global experience, so prolific as to suggest that it is a part of their induction and that any staff member caught not saying hello and grinning will be fired, or shot, or both.

Tomorrow is only Day 6. As we sit here in the bar the approaching sky is black. There's another mother of a storm coming and, hopefully, it'll blow itself over by morning.

Right then, it's my turn to go to the bar... Magic wristband to the ready? Let's go....

1 comment: